[FRPythoneers] Think it is time to organize the front range knowledge management community? Help us organize the XSPOT forums! (fwd from: tsmith at fourthought.com)

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Wed Jan 23 14:37:27 MST 2002

----- Forwarded message from Tim Smith-FT <tsmith at fourthought.com> -----

Delivered-From: bjug-discuss-request at avitek.com
From: "Tim Smith-FT" <tsmith at fourthought.com>
To: <bjug-discuss at avitek.com>
Subject: Think it is time to organize the front range knowledge management community?  Help us organize the XSPOT forums!
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:34:20 -0700

Announcing the formation of the XSPOT Knowledge Management Forums

+XSPOT-KM Technologists Forum- organizing meeting January 23, 2002  8:15
a.m.
+XSPOT-KM Business Leaders Forum- organizing meeting January 30, 2002 8:15
a.m.

Meet at Fourthought’s Boulder office, 4735 Walnut Street plan for a 1 hour
meeting.
For more information contact vroberts at fourthought.com  303.583.9900 x100
Help us spread the word by forwarding this message to appropriate people

Fourthought, Inc., The Colorado Internet Keiretsu, and Front Range Knowledge
are working to organize these forums.  We are reaching out to invite
involvement from any interested parties that would like to help us form
these organizations.

We share the vision that knowledge management in its many forms will be a
vital force in sustaining and achieving corporate growth and competitive
advantage in this century.  The membership of these forums will be comprised
of local people that are working to shape and realize the promise of this
vision while grounding the confusion and hyperbole that surrounds it.

XSPOT-Technologists: Technologists utilizing XML and related technologies
(e.g. RDF, XMI, SOAP) and working in the field of Knowledge Systems.  We
intend to create a forum that loosely bands together, for their common
advantage, an eclectic collection of Colorado technologists, IT architects,
software engineers, and integrators.

XSPOT-Business Leaders: Business leaders, directors, and innovators setting,
funding, and managing corporate KM strategy.  We intend to create a forum
that loosely bands together, for their common advantage, an eclectic
collection of Colorado business leaders and other organization innovators
and change agents that are investing in and overseeing knowledge management
strategies, methodologies, and technologies.

Joint Sessions
It is our intention to periodically hold joint sessions combining these two
forums.  The aim is to continuously improve the synthesis of strategic and
technical conversations within and between enterprises.

Excerpt from, ”The Case Against Knowledge Management”, Thomas Stewart
(Business 2.0 February 2002)

“There's no escaping the eternal management tension between technologist and
humanist, hard and soft, Theory X and Theory Y, Hobbes and Rousseau. Things
get dangerous when the tension becomes a struggle from which one side or the
other emerges victorious. That's when knowledge management gets into
trouble.”

“In the difference lies a core principle of knowledge management: Knowledge
should be managed within the context where value is created.”

http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,36747|4,FF.html

+Read below for a brief description of the intentions behind each forum

XSPOT-Technologists (XSPOT-Tech): Technologists utilizing XML and related
technologies (e.g. RDF, XMI, SOAP) and working in the field of Knowledge
Systems.  We intend to create a forum that loosely bands together, for their
common advantage, an eclectic collection of Colorado technologists,
architects, software engineers, and integrators.

The world of XML technologies and developers is rapidly segmenting as
communities of practice form around vendors, components, and platforms.
Choosing their focal points in enterprise information factories and value
chains.  Naturally, some of us are more inclined to work on knowledge
systems problems.  The XSPOT-Tech forum is being formed by computer
scientists, IT architects, and software engineers to organize a community of
fellow technologists.

Particular focus is on organizing the energy of the Colorado
community-of-practice that is  researching, developing, and  implementing
knowledge systems products or providing KM services where the core enabling
technologies coincide with our XML and related technologies interest area.
It is not our purpose here to describe all of the possible technologies that
will be addressed by this community.  We propose to create an open system
and there will be open, evolving conversations about technologies that are
of interest to the community or parts of its membership.  The aim here is to
collaborate, learn together, survey work across vendor boundaries,
implementation platforms, and industries.  We proffer that ultimately the
pace of innovation will be accelerated and the quality of the innovativeness
and the technical contributions of members of XSPOT will be greatly
enhanced.

XSPOT-Business Leaders (XSPOT-Biz): Business leaders, directors, and
innovators setting, funding, and managing corporate KM strategy.  We intend
to create a forum that loosely bands together, for their common advantage,
an eclectic collection of Colorado business leaders and other organization
innovators and change agents that are investing in and overseeing knowledge
management strategies, methodologies, and technologies.

We wish to exchange stories about our successful and troubling business
cases and to learn about emerging technologies and methodologies from
credible sources.  We also know that the competitive race will go to the
swift, those companies that are best tooled to concentrate, exchange, and
extend their knowledge capital to create competitive advantage and corporate
wealth.

The XSPOT-Biz forum is being formed by business leaders, organization change
agents, and other strategic innovators to organize a community of fellow
senior corporate executives and directors who are working to and have the
primary responsibility for evolving the knowledge systems in their
companies. Particular focus is on organizing the energy of the local
(Colorado) community-of-practice that is primarily responsible for cross
functional development and internal funding of knowledge management
strategies, initiatives, and organization development.

It is not our purpose here to describe all of the operational or strategic
dimensions of knowledge management. We propose to create an open system and
there will be open, evolving conversations about technologies,
methodologies, and experiences that are of interest to the community or
parts of its membership.  The aim here is to collaborate, learn together,
survey work within corporate boundaries and across communities of commerce.
We proffer that ultimately XSPOT-Biz members will be better prepared to
demonstrate the economic and strategic value of knowledge management, the
pace and quality of corporate innovation will be accelerated, and corporate
competitiveness will be enhanced.

Tim Smith
Advisory Board Chairman
Director- Corporate Development and Renewal
Fourthought, Inc.

e: tsmith at fourthought.com
v: 303.583.9900 x116
f: 303.583.9909