[FRPythoneers] tell me what seminar you want on XP, Design Patterns and/or refactoring (fwd from: alshall at netobjectives.com)

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Mon Feb 4 12:56:33 MST 2002

----- Forwarded message from Alan Shalloway <alshall at netobjectives.com> -----

Delivered-From: bjug-discuss-request at avitek.com
From: "Alan Shalloway" <alshall at netobjectives.com>
To: <bjug-discuss at avitek.com>
Subject: tell me what seminar you want on XP, Design Patterns and/or refactoring
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:49:01 -0800

Hi all. Many of you know me from presentations I have done in the area
before or from my book: Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective on
Object-Oriented Design and have told me you like to know when I will do
events in the Denver area (particularly free ones :) I therefore hope no one
considers this spam as I am looking for your input to offer you all a free
seminar of your choosing (along with a paying seminar to make my efforts
worthwhile:).

I have been doing quite a bit of XP training recently and particularly
looking at the relationship between XP and design patterns. After 2 years of
effort (confusion really :) I finally understand why the XP practice of
using refactoring to get emergent design can lead to the same high quality
solutions that patterns lead to. Recently, I did a seminar on this called
"Refactoring, Design Patterns and XP"
( http://www.netobjectives.com/events/pr_2002_01_refactoring.htm ) which was
very well received.

I am coming to Denver in March to do an on-site (private) design patterns
class and am considering offering a free evening seminar, as well as a
public 1-2 day course in the March 5-7th timeframe.

I would like your input on topics.

Choices for free seminar (held in the evening):
1) An Introduction to Design Patterns (see
http://netobjectives.com/events/pr_2001_07_podev.htm )
2) Refactoring, Design Patterns and XP (see earlier URL)
3) An Introduction to Lightweight Methods (see
http://netobjectives.com/events/pr_2001_11_lpa.htm )

Choices for the 1 or 2 day course:
1) (1 day) Design Patterns Explained
(http://www.netobjectives.com/c_dpe.htm)
2) (1 day) An Introduction to Agile Development (our XP intro) (see
http://www.netobjectives.com/xpr_training_litemeth.htm)
3) (1 day) An expanded version of the Refactoring, Design Patterns
and XP seminar that would go into much more detail. This would
demonstrate the dangers of a noun/verb design model as well as show
how design patterns, emergent design and design with
commonality/variability analysis all leads to the same place.
4) (2 days) Pattern Oriented Design class (see
http://www.netobjectives.com/c_pod.htm)

If you are interested in either the free seminar or a 1-2 day course,
tell me which seminar and/or course you'd be interested in.

Thanks,
Alan Shalloway
Sr Consultant, 425-260-8754, http://www.netobjectives.com
* Sign up for our free newsletter by sending an e-mail to
info at netobjectives.com
* Learn about and join our design pattern community of practice by going to
www.netobjectives.com/dpexplained
* Jim Trott's & my book - Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective on
Object-Oriented Design is now available
* Scott Bain's & my new CD based XML training is now available as well

-
This message was sent to the bjug-list mailing list. For info on this list go to http://mail.avitek.com:81/guest/RemoteListSummary/bjug_discuss

----- End forwarded message -----