[FRPythoneers] wireless messaging in python?

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Sun Dec 22 23:25:09 MST 2002

> --------------080501030400050503020407
>

> Uche Ogbuji wrote:
>
> >>A better way to text messages cellphones is through a provider like
> >>http://www.simplewire.com .  However they don't have a Python api and
> >>charge 5 cents a message (2 cents if I prepay for a million) which eats
> >>up half my revenue.
> >>
> >>Is anybody a wireless guru or know of Python opensource wireless
> >>messaging projects I could tap into?
> >>

> >Just a thought: if they have a Java API, you could use it via Jython.  This
> >would also simplify the port if you figured out a way to do it in Python again.
> >
> >If they have a C API, SWIG, Pyrex or Psyco might be the ticket.
> >
> Thanks, Uche. My simplewire.com api choices are  ActiveX, Java, Perl,
> PHP or "shared object". Any suggestions which plays best with Python?

The "shared object" approach is probably the optimal choice, if they mean, as
I think, a simple C API.  The problem is that you need someone with knowledge
of C as well as Python.

ActiveX and Java are probably the quickest approach if such skills are not
available.  I've never accessed ActiveX from Python, but I've heard it's very
easy to do.

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/pythonwin/html/ActiveXScripting.html

I have used Jython and it's pretty easy.  By using Jython to access the Java
API, you'll also be more cross-platform than the ActiveX approach.

http://www.jython.org/

A Python & XML Companion - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/11/py-xml.html
XML class warfare - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6965
MusicBrainz  metadata - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-thi