[FRPythoneers] ANN: TreeWidgets 1.0a1

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Aug 29 17:37:56 MDT 2002

OK, here's a little something for the Tkinter crowd:

TreeWidgets 1.0a1
=================

TreeWidgets is a Python-Tkinter library that provides general-purpose
tree widgets. I decided to write it because I found that, though there
are several Tkinter tree widgets available, the ones I have tried were
all designed to work with one particular type of data structure, and
were hard to adapt to other data structures.

My goals in creating the TreeWidgets library are:

  1. The widget must be able to display any hierarchical data structure,
     and should have built-in support for common structures such as XML
     DOMs and directory trees.

  2. You should be able either to pass the widget a data structure and
     have it automatically build and display the graphical tree, or to
     exercise more precise control through a low-level API.

  3. It should be possible to display a tree with built-in icons, icons
     provided by the application, or no icons at all. Similarly, it
     should be possible to specify different fonts according to the needs
     of your application.

  4. The widget should provide a reasonable set of default mouse and
     key bindings, but it should also be easy to override the defaults.

  5. The widget should support all relevant Tkinter configuration options.

This being the first Alpha release, there are numerous bugs and
unimplemented features, but at least the first goal is substantially
realized, and the package should be usable with a little work.

The TreeWidgets home page is at:

   http://www.havenrock.com/developer/treewidgets/index.html

Try it out, and let me know what you think!

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com