[FRPythoneers] re: Pickling objects into a file

Sue Giller sag at hydrosphere.com
Tue Oct 9 12:19:43 MDT 2001

Pythoneers,

I have some more information on the problem I am having with
pickling object data (see previous message with same topic sent
yesterday).

The problem seems to be in either UserArray (which comes with
Numeric) or in Numeric.  If the array is created with a typecode of
Object, the unpickling fails.  Other typecodes work fine.

The arrays I create are based on UserArray, and are given a
typecode of Object, but are filled with numeric values (integers in my
test case, but could be float or long).  Does anyone know how to
successfully pickle such arrays?

I still wonder why I can pickle and unpickle these arrays when done
in a single session, but get the GPF when I just unpickle the files in
a separate session.

Is there anyone out there who uses UserArray or some equivalent
for data handling who can suggest either a fix for this, or point me to
a better behaved array module?  I need to be able to store
homogenous data values in arrays, have an ability to handle the
concept of Missing Value (I like the None value for the object
typecode, instead of having to create a set of Missing Values, one
for each numeric storage type), and have some standard array
transformations available, such as are provided by UserArray.

TIA

sue