[FRPythoneers] Solaris Python

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Thu Oct 4 15:02:14 MDT 2001

I discovered this week that there are no recent Solaris binaries
(Sparc or Intel) for Python. The most recent version available from
Sun is 1.5.2:

They are indexed off of
  http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/downloads/index.html

The direct links are:
Sparc:
ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/sparc/8/setup_sfw_python_152s.class

Intel:
ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/sparc/8/setup_sfw_python_152s.class
(yes, it is the same, the java wrapper may be testing for processor type).

I've contacted Guido, and PythonLabs has no access to a Solaris
machine with a compiler.

If anyone can take over making Solaris binaries, python.org and
the Sun Site (http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/downloads/indexSub.html) would
publicize them.

Thanks in advance,
Evelyn Mitchell