[FRPythoneers] Python to the rescue!

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Fri May 18 14:59:01 MDT 2001

I don't use Windows very often, and I don't have much Windows
software (I dislike paying the Microsoft tax, and I don't have
to use their tools if there is an alternative like StarOffice).

Today, one of our clients was trying to connect to a postgreSQL
database we had installed on a Linux server, using ODBC from Win98.
They were testing using the ODBC built into Excel. I don't own
a copy of Excel, and didn't want to buy a copy for this.

So, Sean suggested that I use the ODBC connection built into
Python for Win32 to test that everything was installed correctly.

I was using the

After downloading Python 2.1 for Win32:
  http://www.pytohon.or/download/download_windows.html

and win32all.exe from ActiveState:
  http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePython/Extensions/Win32all

I was able to write a test program to confirm the database/odbc
driver chain was working correctly:

import odbc, dbi
try:
   s = odbc.odbc('DSN/uname/pw')
   cur = s.cursor()
   c = cur.execute('select * from pg_tables')
   while 1:
      rec = cur.fetchmany(10)
      if not rec: break
      print rec
except NameError, e:
   print 'error ', e, 'undefined'

It was the first time I had used Pythonwin, and I was quite
impressed with how nice it is as an IDE. (Not impressed enough
to give up Linux though!).

Evelyn Mitchell
efm at tummy.com