[FRPythoneers] Question about string.join method

J. Wayde Allen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Tue May 1 10:50:36 MDT 2001

> Python encourages many practitioners to believe that
> the processor itself is the most convenient reference.
> Do you realize you can
>   >>> from string import join
>   >>> join.__doc__
>   'join(list [,sep]) -> string\012joinfields(list [,sep]) -> string\012\012Return
>   a string composed of the words in list, with\012intervening occurences of sep.
>   Sep defaults to a single\012space.\012\012(join and joinfields are synonymous)'

No ... can't say I knew this.  If I had read about it at one time I
obviously forgot about it.  Thanks!

I am a bit curious though.  I'm guessing that the \012 is the ASCII code
for a dot?  Why is it displayed this way in the documentation?

While we're at it, I'm assuming that a "good" Python programmer would
include the __doc__ feature into his or her code?  Is there a
"standard" way to do this or does one just define

       self.__doc__ = "Some string of instructions"

- Wayde
  (wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov)