[FRPythoneers] pcgi

Rob Riggs rriggs at doubleclick.net
Thu Mar 8 01:25:51 MST 2001

Yes, that would be me. The thing to know is that pcgi sends data out in a
single stream. The data is formatted as follows:

xxxxxxxxxx - a 10 digit zero padded integer string of value x
nnnnnnnnnn - x bytes of header data, \000 delimited, ie
"QUERY_STRING=foo\000REFERRER=bar\000..."
yyyyyyyyyy - a 10 digit zero padded integer string of value y
nnnnnnnnnn - y bytes of body data (MIME encoded, generally from a POST)

I use PCGI in production (and have for over a year now). I have a really
nice Python module for interfacing to PCGI, but there is still some
question as to whether or not I can release the code to the public. I'll
check with the powers that be at some point.

But you are right, the PCGI module is not well documented. I dissected the
Zope code that provides PCGI support to figure out the details of how to
talk to the pcgi-wrapper.