[FRPythoneers] Re: VB/Python article....

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Jun 7 10:43:44 MDT 2001

>From frpythoneers-admin at lists.community.tummy.com  Wed Jun  6 11:05:32 2001
>		.
>One problem though, is that there are two levels of Scientific
>programmers.  Those doing the high level simulations (Finite Elements,
>Finite Difference Time Domain, etc.) automatically will choose a language
>that gives them the greatest computational power and the fastest
>performance.  Not too surprisingly many of these kinds of software
>packages are written in Fortran.  It is somewhat unlikely that Python
>will break in here.
>		.
>		.
>		.
Yes--but not impossible.  Many "scientific programmers"
spend a lot of their time in boilerplate.  They shuffle
lines of code, tweak programs to create new programs
with slightly different algorithms, ...  Introduction of
a higher-level language would multiply the productivity
of these guys.  I know; I went through some of these
same challenges and opportunities in the early '80s (then
it was LISP and FORTRAN, for me).

The customers are hardly convinced, though.  I know I've
been urging HLLs on numeric types for at least a couple
of decades, and it doesn't feel as though they're any
closer now to getting the point of why learning more than
one language is to their advantage.