[FRPythoneers] Re: VB/Python article....

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Wed Jun 6 12:37:00 MDT 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> No kidding!  In my area one thing that would help would be the development
> of a solid instrument control library or module.  Something like the GPIB
> (IEEE488) Perl module <http://www.mock.com/gpib/index.html>.  For the most
> part, there seems to be relatively little Python support for data
GPIB seems to be everywhere - at least in the high accuracy measurement
business.  Do you think it would be a reasonable effort to write a C
wrapper for the C driver of GPIB interface cards to make those drivers
work for Python applications?  Or could you even take advantage of those
C driver kits directly from Python?  It seems that C drivers are
available for those cards - but again mostly for the Windows platform.
That's another rant I kept repeating for a long time now.  Well, I don't
do this kind of work enough these days to even know where the industry
is at this point.  My involvement is usually when our engineers at the
lab get stuck and need help from a more experienced programmer.  It
would be fun to work on some new projects of this type and see how far I
could get with open source OS and programming environments.
For generic control and measurement I like the Opto22 equipment.  They
actually have Linux drivers and they do a lot of communications over
TCP/IP, with and without wires (805.11b).

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid
http://www.archenergy.com