[FRPythoneers] Re: VB/Python article....

Ken Kinder kkinder at tridog.com
Tue Jun 5 09:27:33 MDT 2001

I'm no IDE expert, but I would like to suggest Wing to everyone. I was a
die-hard x/emacs user, until I found wing. Mostly because of its
debugging features. I write a lot of web software, and wing's debugger
lets you debug processes on OTHER BOXES. You import its debugger file
and it'll connect to your IDE and you can step through code that lives
elseware. That's the main reason I use it. It would be wingide.com --
it's proprietary, although you can download a usable demo.

It does have some features a VB user might expect, except for GUI
prototyping. I haven't done much GUI prototyping, but I can suggest
either glade or Qt's Designer. Glade is IMHO better, but Designer has a
better Python code generator. Both glade and Designer are free.

Also, thekompany.com is working on a very VB'ish IDE for Python. Also
proprietary.

Personally I see nothing wrong with Python meeting these kind of needs.
Some people here at Tridog (where I work) use VB and seemed very
interested when I showed them Python.

Finally, there was one that I think activestate put out that did tkinter
prototyping. I downloaded it but didn't much like it.

Seriously though, wing's debugger and object/class browser are slick.