[FRPythoneers] Re: VB/Python article....

Clementson, Bill Bill_Clementson at jdedwards.com
Tue Jun 5 08:35:39 MDT 2001

> On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 10:50:02PM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
> >view that IDEs don't contribute a lot to productivity, and may even
> >impair it in some cases. Fine. But there are a lot of people out
> >there, professional developers (or so they say, and I've had no cause
> >to doubt them) and project managers, who take IDEs for granted. Who

IMHO the gui-building capabilities of IDE's are a bit over-rated. Many
companies will not allow code generated with such products to be used in
production software as the code doesn't meet internal code standards. In
practice, I suspect that in many corporate environments, IDE's are used
simply as high-cost code editors/debuggers. IDE gui-builders are great for
beginners learning gui programming (although there are good reasons to not
use them when learning gui programming as well) and for prototyping.

If you are interested in having a look at a Python IDE, have a look at Boa
Constructor. It is similar to VB in it's approach to gui construction. Note
that it uses wxPyhon (wxWindows) instead of Tkinter. Alternatively,
PythonWorks Pro has a Tkinter-based form designer. They are available at:

Boa Constructor:
http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/

PythonWorks Pro:
http://www.pythonware.com/products/works/index.htm

There is also a good article on Python IDE's on IBM's DeveloperWorks site:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pide/

Of course, real programmmers use emacs but we'll avoid that discussion here
;-).

> >I could name a couple of things, but how about a good object
> >browser? Personally, I find IDLE's object browser extremely awkward.

You mentioned that you use xemacs - have you tried oo-browser from
beopen.com? If you like object browsers, oo-browser is pretty comprehensive
but requires a bit of setup to use effectively. I've set up some custom
emacs code to automatically jump to modules and/or view pydoc documentation,
so I don't use oo-browser much.

> is in a similar boat.  A VB user should not be asking me to
> build an IDE.

Unless, of course, they are throwing a lot of money at you :)

-Bill