[FRPythoneers] Re: VB/Python article....

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jun 5 08:01:12 MDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 10:50:02PM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
>view that IDEs don't contribute a lot to productivity, and may even
>impair it in some cases. Fine. But there are a lot of people out
>there, professional developers (or so they say, and I've had no cause
>to doubt them) and project managers, who take IDEs for granted. Who

My IDE is Linux...  ;-)

I think the problem is that a significant fraction of the Python community
is in a similar boat.  A VB user should not be asking me to build an IDE.
Instead of complaining about the lack of one (again several seem to be
available), they should be building one...  I can't do it, because I just
really don't understand the problem...

>easier than trying to change the thinking of those multitudes who
>are--what do you want to call them? Unenlightened? Brainwashed by
>Microsoft? I read an interesting quote from Frank Zappa a couple weeks

Yeah, I don't think we can actually change their thinking...  I'm certainly
not the right person to build them a tool though...

>I could name a couple of things, but how about a good object
>browser? Personally, I find IDLE's object browser extremely awkward.

pydoc has made me happy...

 "8 out of 10 Starships that took the Folger's challenge didn't know they
 weren't using Dilithium Crystals."  -- Sean and Anne being silly one night.