[FRPythoneers] Exiting the main code block

Jim Vickroy Jim.Vickroy at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 1 13:19:24 MDT 2001

how about:

import sys
sys.exit()

from the online documentation on the "sys" module:

exit ([arg])
Exit from Python. This is implemented by raising the SystemExit exception, so
cleanup actions specified by finally clauses of try statements are honored, and it
is possible to intercept the exit attempt at an outer level. The optional argument
arg can be an integer giving the exit status (defaulting to zero), or another type
of object. If it is an integer, zero is considered ``successful termination'' and
any nonzero value is considered ``abnormal termination'' by shells and the like.
Most systems require it to be in the range 0-127, and produce undefined results
otherwise. Some systems have a convention for assigning specific meanings to
specific exit codes, but these are generally underdeveloped; Unix programs
generally use 2 for command line syntax errors and 1 for all other kind of errors.
If another type of object is passed, None is equivalent to passing zero, and any
other object is printed to sys.stderr and results in an exit code of 1. In
particular, sys.exit("some error message") is a quick way to exit a program when
an error occurs.