[FRPythoneers] Python under MSWindows

J. Wayde Allen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Fri Jun 1 16:17:12 MDT 2001

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:

> > No, I want to get a data stream out.  On my Linux box I usually just send
> > the results to STDOUT and then redirect that wherever I need it to go.  I
> > just wanted the program to be startable with a mouse click.
>
> So, where do you want the output to go, then?

I feel like I must be typing poorly today.  I'll try again, hopefully in a
slightly different way.

I wanted to have a program icon on the windows desktop.  Clicking on this
icon would start the program running.  My assumption here is that I could
include the command line argument in the target property for the shortcut
so as I've already noted that would be something like:

   C:\myprogram.py argument

The program would read the argument and do something with it.  The output
from this program would open a window on the screen and display the
results.

Yes, that is basically what happens if I put the raw_input() command at
the bottom of my original script.  BUT ... the window that opens can't be
made very large, and it isn't scrollable.  As such this isn't terribly
useful.

Ultimately I might like the output from the program to go to a
file on the disk rather than to the screen, so my thought was that I could
reset the shortcut's target property to something like:

   C:\myprogram.py argument > resultfile.txt

However that doesn't seem to work.

So ... unless I'm missing something here which is certainly very
possible.  It looks like I need to modify my program so that it explicitly
reads input from the user and writes output to a specified file.

In other words, it looks like I can only run these programs from the DOS
window using file redirects there, or modify the user interface to make it
compatible with the MSWindows way of doing things.

- Wayde
  (wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov)