[FRPythoneers] Python under MSWindows

J. Wayde Allen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Fri Jun 1 15:23:31 MDT 2001

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Ken Kinder wrote:

> You might want to give freeze a try. There's a freeze.py file in the
> Tools part of Python (probably included in your distribution). You can
> use it to make a stand-alone binary from a Python script. It works by
> including the Python interpreter, the imported modules, and your module
> itself, in a single executable binary. That would make it run like other
> Windows programs, but generates pretty sizable binaries.

OK, I do have a copy of freeze on my Linux system.  The README file says
that freeze only works if used on the same kind of platform as your
intended run platform.  It also looks like it simply rolls everything up
as a set of C programs that must be compiled.  If I'm reading that right
I'd need to have Python running on a target machine with the necessary C
compiler in order to make use of this.  While that could be useful, I
think simply installing Python on our users machines might be easier and
more efficient.  Especially since I'm trying to get people here interested
in using Python.

I'll have to think about this some more.  Thanks for the tip.  I wasn't
aware of freeze.

- Wayde
  (wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov)