[FRPythoneers] Python under MSWindows

J. Wayde Allen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Fri Jun 1 15:12:49 MDT 2001

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 02:09:34PM -0600, J. Wayde Allen wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
> >
> >     C:\Wayde\myprogram.pyw argument1
>
> Try calling it with .py rather than .pyw
> I thought you were trying to avoid the DOS box, rather than
> keep it around.

OK, changing the target line back to:

   C:\Wayde\myprogram.py argument1

and adding a raw_input() at the bottom of the code does run the program,
and leave the output screen with data.  However, the screen isn't
scroll-able.  That ends up being kind of useless since I'm generating more
data than fits in the tiny little window.

So ... evidently one can't simply write a piece of Python code and
transport it to a MSWindows machine without adding code to open Windows,
etc.?  I'm not too sure how to phrase the question I guess.  Another way
of putting it is that it seems one is compelled to create a GUI interface
to one's code.  You can't just run the code and have it open a window (or
more precisely, a particularly useful window that is resizable with
scroll bars) for program input and output?

I haven't played with MSWindows for a long time, but it also looks like
file redirection from within the MSWindows environment is also
gone.  Simply setting the target line to something like:

     C:\Wayde\myprogram.py argument1 > C:\Wayde\result.txt

doesn't create anything as far as I can tell.

At least one can open the DOS window and run the program that way.  The
results can then be displayed using something like notepad.

- Wayde
  (wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov)