[FRPythoneers] xml difference in 1.5 to 2.1

Andrew R. Diederich diederic at boulder.net
Wed Aug 22 14:09:02 MDT 2001

Hmm, it does look like minidom does what core did (__doc__ for both says
they're light implementations of DOM, anyway).  Now I can't find what
happend to sax_builder.  *sigh*  I've tried the little I know to find out
what exactly it does, but since I'm just learning all this, the words
don't mean much to me.  From 1.5.2:

>>> print xml.dom.sax_builder.__doc__
sax_builder.py: SaxBuilder class implementation.

SaxBuilder builds a DOM-conformant grove from evenements generated by a
SAX-conformant driver.

Below is the example I'm trying to figure out, and move to 2.1.

****************************

#!/usr/bin/python

# Import the core DOM module
from xml.dom import minidom

# Import the DOM SAX builder
from xml.dom.sax_builder import SaxBuilder

# Import the SAX modules
from xml.sax import saxexts, saxlib
import sys

def PrintText(nodelist):
	# Print the data content of a node list
	for n in nodelist:
		if n.nodeType == core.TEXT_NODE:
			# For text nodes, data content is available as
			# the nodeValue instance varirable.
			print n.nodeValue,
		elif n.nodeType == core.ELEMENT_NODE:
			# For element nodes, call PrintText,
			# recursively passing it the list
			# of children of the current node.
			PrintText(n.childNodes)

# Create SAX parser
p = saxexts.make_parser()

# Create a SAX document handler which will build the DOM tree
dh = SaxBuilder()

# Tell the parser about the document handler
p.setDocumentHandler(dh)

# Parse the document.
p.parse(sys.argv[1])

doc = dh.document

PrintText (doc.documentElement.childNodes)