[FRPythoneers] Lumberjack: Status

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat May 6 23:38:01 MDT 2000

Not suprisingly, today basicly all we got done was the design and other
background stuff.  It's pretty much at the point where the coding can
begin, but we decided we couldn't make enough of a dent in it today
to even start.

Be that as it may, we do have all the design information checked into
CVS, and some sample code that we were playing around with.  Here's
where we are:

   CVS has been set up.

   Goals have been defined.

   A completed markup sample has been created.  The markup has more or
   less been documented.

   pyclbr, import, and parser have been investigated.  The parser looks
   like the best way to go as it will allow us to access programs in
   addition to modules, and will not be executing code while building
   the document structure.  The parser module documentation even includes
   some code to get doc strings.  This will also allow us to pull out
   the default arguments and other function information.

   A design has been created which goes into some implementation details.
   The plan is to flush this out enough that we can start developing some
   tests.

So, from here the plan is:

   Develop some tests at some of the large component interface points
   which will verify correct functionality at these interfaces.

   Assign these pieces for implementation.

   The implementation teams will further define where/if additional tests
   are needed and implement them.

   Code is built which passes these tests.

   This code is plugged together to form the whole.

So, that's where we're at.  We'll definitely need to spend probably another
day on this before it's useable.  However, getting to this point I think
is the hardest work.  Trying to clarify the pieces, interfaces, and
related stuff so that a group of people can begin the implementation process
is the hard part.  The implementation should mostly fall into place now.

We'd appreciate any feedback folks have on what's in CVS.  If there are any
parts that can be added to or further defined, or errors corrected, we'd
really like the input.

We'll have to schedule some time when we can do the implementation step.
How does the weekend after next (May 21) sound?

 "I feel so insignificant...  Like people are laughing at me."
 "You--You ARE a clown..."  -- Bob Newhart