[FRPythoneers] PythonDoc review

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Wed Mar 29 18:32:36 MST 2000

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 05:51:18PM -0700, Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> I've also heard nice things about Perl's POD, but I have no first-hand
> experience.  Does anyone know of its merits/demerits vis-a-vis javadoc?

POD is extremely lightweight:

	=head1 NAME

	perltoc - perl documentation table of contents

	=head1 DESCRIPTION

	This page provides a brief table of contents for the rest of the Perl
	documentation set.  It is meant to be scanned quickly or grepped
	through to locate the proper section you're looking for.

	=head1 BASIC DOCUMENTATION

	=head2 perl - Practical Extraction and Report Language

	=item SYNOPSIS

	=item DESCRIPTION

	perlfaq: Structural overview of the FAQ, L<perlfaq1>: General Questions
	About Perl, L<perlfaq2>: Obtaining and Learning about Perl, L<perlfaq3>:
	Programming Tools, L<perlfaq4>: Data Manipulation, L<perlfaq5>: Files and
	Formats, L<perlfaq6>: Regexps, L<perlfaq7>: General Perl Language Issues,
	L<perlfaq8>: System Interaction, L<perlfaq9>: Networking

	=over

	=item Where to get this document

	=item How to contribute to this document

	=item What will happen if you mail your Perl programming problems to the
	authors

	=back

	=item Credits

I'd call it pretty equivalent in weight to JavaDoc.

efm