[FRPythoneers] theCLIQ press release

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Mar 19 21:46:35 MST 2000

On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 07:44:40PM -0600, George Jempty wrote:
>Does anybody else object to the irony of having to pay to attend a
>conference on open source software?  Think I'll stay at home and hack the

I don't see it irony...  I presume you mean "the irony of having to pay to
attend a conference on FREE software".  However that doesn't really work
either because the free in "free software" is about freedom, not cost.

Just to clarify this though, TheCLIQ is a registered non-profit.  It's not
run by some big company trying to capitalize on "the latest trend".  The board
is formed by nearly a dozen *LOCAL* Linux advocates who have donated
hundreds of hours and dollars to making this conference a success.
This is the most affordable linux conference i know of -- by roughly
an order of magnitude.

The Marriot doesn't *GIVE* the speakers rooms to present in.  Not everyone
can get their company to fly them in for it.  This is a democracy, and you
vote with your attendance.  If your vote is that you would rather the only
opportunities to interact with internationally known Open Source folks is
by flying to one of the coasts and paying $500, that'll be important for
us to know when deciding if there will be another one next year.

Personally, I think that these Linux events are one of the pleasures in
life, and we thought it was time to have one in the mid-west.  I can't
wait, even though I'll be spending most of the day ensuring it goes
smoothly, and not partying...

Sean
Logistics Coordinator for TheCLIQ.
--
 Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.