[FRPythoneers] Re: [lug] MEAS Data file format

Mike Olson Mike.Olson at fourthought.com
Wed Aug 16 17:24:32 MDT 2000

Evelyn Mitchell wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 04:15:54PM -0600, Wayde Allen wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, David wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, I see what you mean.  So, what I meant was: "Write a formal
> > > grammar"; probably a BNF grammar.
> >
> > OK you got me on this one.  What is BNF?
>
> Backus-Naur Form.
> A simplified version can be found at:
> http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/5_BNF.html

We have a tool called BisonGen that takes a pretty simple XML format
(EBNF ish) and generates:
A Bison file
A swig wrapper file
A C file to help wrapping
And a python file to interface the parser. (actually 3 depending on how
you would like to access the information).

All you really need are the XML and the lex file. (we are also working
on getting the lex integrated into the XML).

I know this used to be on our web site.  I can package it up if anyone
is interested.  We use it to generate all of our parsers (XPath, XSLT,
Odl, Oql, Oif, and Ril).  Be forwarned though, the reason we haven't
publiccly released it yet is we are still working on docs....

Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Mike