[FRPythoneers] Re: [lug] MEAS Data file format

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Wed Aug 16 16:37:33 MDT 2000

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 04:15:54PM -0600, Wayde Allen wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, David wrote:
>
> > Yes, I see what you mean.  So, what I meant was: "Write a formal
> > grammar"; probably a BNF grammar.
>
> OK you got me on this one.  What is BNF?

Backus-Naur Form.
A simplified version can be found at:
http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/5_BNF.html

You may want to do a Jackson Diagram (its a bit simpler)
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~perlman/CIS516/S96/exam2.html
Each of the boxes is essentially a line in the file format
Asterisk indicates zero or more
Circle indicates one or the other
This is described in "Practical Software Requirements:
A Manual of Content and Style" by Benjamin L. Kovitz (I
highly recommend this book. Kovitz is a local author and
would be great to get for FRPythoneers, or BLUG).

Evelyn Mitchell
efm at tummy.com

--
http://www.tummy.com/ Consulting and Software for Linux and Unix
KRUD - Kevin's Red Hat Uber Distribution - the Freshest Red Hat every month