[FRPythoneers] Data Acquisition with Python

Vickroy, Jim jvickroy at sec.noaa.gov
Wed Aug 16 10:46:59 MDT 2000

I have written a very simple Python interface to the C API of Research
Systems IDL product (not interface definition language) without resorting to
SWIG and that worked as advertised.  So, as long as the product you are
trying to front-end has a well-defined C API, there should be no problem.
SWIG eliminates much of the repetitious component of the effort, but it may
not be worth the effort to learn if your interface is simple (unless you
plan on doing this sort of thing regularly).