[FRPythoneers] Data Acquisition with Python

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Fri Aug 11 16:57:02 MDT 2000

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 04:01:17PM -0600, Wayde Allen wrote:
> >Has anyone tried or heard of anyone using Python for data acquisition and
> >instrument control?
>
> I don't know of anything in Python, and a quick search through the vaults
> at http://www.python.org/search/ didn't turn anything up for ieee or
> instrument.
>
> If you have some C code which does what you want, it may be easy
> enough to MAKE one.  ;-)

Yeah, that was my thought as well.  There are several GPIB drivers
available for Linux:

   http://www.llp.fu-berlin.de/
   http://www.ni.com/

etc..  Unfortunately I've never had the time to adequately try them out.
There is a GPIB module for Perl, I was just wondering if perhaps someone
had created one for Python?  If not, this might be a good chance to learn
about how Python integrates outside code sources.  I've never tried that.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)