[FRPythoneers] Databases

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji at fourthought.com
Wed Aug 9 23:59:33 MDT 2000

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, PC Drew wrote:

> you're welcome to take a look at my project description at
> http://duas.sourceforge.net
>
> Basically I'm writing a Domain User Administration System and I want
> to pull from user information (such as a user's uid) from a database.
>  I want to allow for the fact that the user might not have a database
> at all (then I'd use some sort of DBM), a user might have Oracle,
> Sybase, MySQL, etc.  Or a user might want the information stored in
> LDAP.

Whoa nellie!  How much time do you have on your hands?

If I were you, I'd simply write an adapter interface for DUAS and allow
the use of back-end specific drivers such as DB-API, ODMG, OpenLDAP,
DBM (don't know good ol' shelve), etc.

If your tool takes off, you'll probably get others to contribute drivers.

> I want to write my code in such a manner that no matter what OS and
> what database the user will use, my code will still work.

If you succeed, you'll be next in line for the Alan Turing award.

But you can come close enough to get things going.

--Uche