[FRPythoneers] Databases

Uche Ogbuji uogbuji at fourthought.com
Wed Aug 9 23:50:43 MDT 2000

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, PC Drew wrote:

> I'm interested in implementing some sort of database abstraction layer
> for an application that I'm writing.  Is the DB-API 2.0 the way to go?
>  The python website says that there's an interface to Informix,
> Sybase, Oracle, and MySQL.

Well, there will always be a small degree of incompatability, for instance
because of package names, but DB-API gets you pretty close.  Also, Dierdre
IForgetHerLastName in San Francisco is working on a DB-API package for
DB2.  Finally, Postgres finally has a DB-API wrapper for pygres.

> Any ideas?  Any suggestions?

What else do you need to know?

--Uche