[FRPythoneers] Python in linguistics

socket at peakpeak.com socket at peakpeak.com
Thu Apr 6 19:25:18 MDT 2000

I've just joined this list recently.  To introduce myself to those of
you who don't know me, I'm an undergraduate linguistics and cognitive
science student at the University of Colorado in Boulder.

After a discussion with some people I work with at the University and
a great deal of pondering over lists of hashes of lists in perl for a
linguistics application, I suggested we install Python and have a look
at its facilities. The Perl version was much more complicated than I
felt was necessary. After my brief overview of Python and a collective
look over the website, there's a lot of interest in using it for
projects here because of the more graceful handling of data structures
in Python.

It's nice to have users groups around, I hope I can be somewhat
involved in events. I've been eyeing the thread about a user-group
project of some sort.  Perhaps after the end of this semester, I might
be more able to participate, but at the moment I'm really trying to
avoid overcommiting myself- I have more drive than time, and lots of
schoolwork to take care of.

Anyway, I just felt I should announce my presence on this list by now.

--
Chris Riddoch      socket -at- peakpeak -dot- com
Will provide pseudo-insightful commentary for food