[FRPythoneers] Pythoneers Monthly Meeting - This Wednesday, December 20

Jim Baker jbaker at zyasoft.com
Fri Dec 15 14:43:25 MST 2006

*Important Change: we will be meeting at bivio Software instead of
Jill's to better accommodate this month's demos.*

This coming Wednesday (December 20) we are having our monthly meeting
for the Front Range Pythoneers. Come join a lively discussion of Python
demos, features, tips & techniques, and directions, both for fun and
professional development.

Here are the meeting specifics:

    * Date/time: Every 3rd Wednesday, 6-8 PM
    * Location: bivio Software, Inc. <http://www.bivio.biz/>, 28th and
      Iris. Above Hair Elite in Suite S. Google Maps link
      <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2701+Iris+Ave.,+Boulder+CO&ie=UTF8&z=15&om=1&iwloc=A>
    * Tom Churchill and Vinny will demo Churchill Navigation's
      <http://www.churchillnavigation.com> earth-rendering engine (which
      looks like Google Earth, only apparently even better and faster ;)
      ). Vinny (their main Python guy) will explain how they built the
      glue logic (and why they decided against SWIG) and perhaps some of
      the implications of using Python as a scripting language in a
      real-time (60 fps) environment, and the techniques we employed to
      keep the graphics pipeline from stalling when making an expensive
      call into their engine from Python.
    * Brian Granger from Tech-X <http://txcorp.com/> will help us think
      more deeply about concurrent Python programming, especially as
      seen in a new version of IPython
      <http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/IPython1> he has been working on.
    * BoulderSprint <http://wiki.python.org/moin/BoulderSprint>. Eric
      Dobbs proposed we adopt Jython, and this looks like we have enough
      momentum to actually get some useful work done. We will talk about
      the upcoming sprint to be held on Saturday, January 6.

We will have food & drink available. Did I mention the _free beer_? Hope
to see you there.

- Jim