[FRPythoneers] jython hacking anyone?

Eric Dobbs eric at dobbse.net
Mon Dec 4 16:53:41 MST 2006

Hi All.

There's a blog post I've been thinking about for a couple weeks now.
The thought keeps tugging at my sleeve.  Bear with me for a little
background -- this note really is about python.  Sun hired the two
lead developers of JRuby a few months back.  Tim Bray has mentioned
fairly regularly on his blog that the JVM needs to offer better
support for dynamic languages and the hiring of the JRuby guys is
evidence that he's been successful in making that pitch within Sun.

One of those JRuby guys made a pitch for jython (of all things) a
couple weeks ago:

http://headius.blogspot.com/2006/11/jython-alive-and-well-and-looking-
for.html

So what do you think?  I know at least a few people who've been to
the recent meetings are also java developers.  Anyone interested in
giving jython a little nudge?  I'm just testing the waters for now.
If it looks like there's some interest I'll dig up specifics and
propose a code sprint (maybe for January).

Take care.
-Eric

ps.  There was another thing that got my attention recently -- a
combined Python and Ruby conference happening next April:  http://
rupy.wmid.amu.edu.pl/