[FRPythoneers] PyCon 2007 - Accepted Talks by Local Pythoneers

Jim Baker jbaker at zyasoft.com
Fri Dec 1 15:59:17 MST 2006

5 out of 103 accepted talks <http://us.pycon.org/apps07/talks/> for
PyCon 2007 are from local Pythoneers. Congratulations on what everyone
agrees was a very competitive year for proposals!

- Jim

    Interactive Parallel and Distributed Computing with IPython

*Dr. Brian E Granger (Tech-X Corporation <http://www.txcorp.com/>);
Fernando Perez (University of Colorado at Boulder)*
*30min Intermediate*
*categories: science, concurrency*

One of Python's strengths is that it can be used interactively. In this
talk I will describe recent developments in the IPython project
(http://ipython.scipy.org) that extend Python's and IPython's
interactive capabilities into the realm of parallel and distributed
computing.

The architecture we have developed allows parallel and distributed
applications to be developed, debugged, tested, executed and monitored
in a fully interactive manner.

Many styles of parallelism and concurrency are supported including
traditional message passing (using MPI), task farming, shared memory and
custom approaches as well. This flexibility makes it easy to incorporate
existing parallel codes and libraries as well as quickly design novel
parallel approaches and algorithms.

I will talk about the design and implementation of the architecture,
detail its basic usage and provide examples of more sophisticated usage
scenarios.

    Write Less Code with XRC for wxPython

Mr. Matt Boersma (Array BioPharma, PSF member
<http://www.arraybiopharma.com/>)
30min Intermediate
categories: gui

Learn an easier way to do GUI layout using wxPython's XML-based resource
system.

    Writing Your Own Python Types in C

Mr. Jack Diederich (Psynchronous Communications, Inc
<http://jackdied.com/python>)
30min Intermediate
categories: extensions

Hand writing C versions of your important Python classes isn't a mystery
- or shouldn't be. This talk translates what you know about writing
python classes
to their lower level C equivalents. By example a Sudoku solver
(everyone's favorite play thing) will get a 30% speedup by writing a
from-scratch version of Python's set() in 300 lines of C.

    Python and vim: Two great tastes that go great together.

*Sean Reifschneider (tummy.com, ltd.)*
*30min Beginner*
*categories: gui, ide, shell*

The vim editor includes extensive abilities for customization and
scripting. In addition to it's own simple macro language, vim also
supports calling Python code. This Python code has access back into vim
for manipulating the edit buffer as well as running normal vim commands.
Examples demonstrated in this talk will include automatically detecting
indentation style (tabs/N spaces), automatic update of DNS "serial"
numbers when editing DNS zone files, mail alias tab-expansion, and a
time tracking application using a "domain specific vim" as the user
interface.

    Iterators in Action

*Jim Baker* (yes, this is me)
*30min Intermediate*
*categories: language, technique*

Using iterators well can make your code lean and your programming fun.
We will distill current best practice by investigating some (mostly)
useful examples of iterators in action.