[FRPythoneers] Doctest

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jul 30 16:35:10 MDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 03:58:59PM -0600, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
>> health-monitoring software, ...  Those are also "realities" in which some
>> programmers operate.
>
>"Fortunate" has nothing to do with it.  The simple fact is that we're
>*not* producing banking, ATC or heart monitoring software.

Safety-critical systems spend a *LOT* of time and money trying to produce
defect rates below 1 per million lines of code.  They employ things such as
implementing a system multiple different ways and checking for a quorum
among them when performing an action...  Bugs in one will hopefully not
affect the majority of the implementations, so you're still ok.  They also
invest huge amounts of resources into code review and testing -- think an
order of magnitude the development investment.

For an idea of scale, a defect rate of under 1 per million lines of
code would allow for one defect in the C code of the Linux kernel, gcc,
and X-windows *COMBINED*.

Most programmers would love to develop defect-free software.  Most
programmers unfortunately just do not have the resources to do that.  If
you do, Jim, great.  If you believe that Open Source projects such as 4Suite
should have that level of defects, I'm sure they would welcome your
providing the resources to making that happen.

Compare 4Suite to most other OSS projects, which completely lack
test-cases...  I don't think 4Suite deserves such contempt.

 [...] Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
                 -- Donald Knuth