[FRPythoneers] Doctest

Jim Vickroy Jim.Vickroy at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 27 15:08:46 MDT 2001

Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Jim Vickroy wrote:
>
> > Mike Olson wrote:
> >
> > You probably have heard the drill ...
> >
> > Find an error in a module.  Update the unit test, for this module, to detect the error.
> > Fix the error.  Run ALL of your unit tests for ALL of your modules.  If none of the tests
> > fail for any of the modules, then, at least to the extent your unit tests reflect desired
> > behavior, you have broken nothing.  If tests fail, fix the broken modules and run all
> > tests again.  Repeat, until all test succeed.
>
> Uh huh.  Now back to reality.
>
> Are you talking about a well-funded development project, or open source?
> (OK so there's some overlap between those categories, but never mind).
>
> If we had to go through all the above in order to develop 4Suite, we would
> have to charge Microsoft-like prices for 4Suite.

Thanks for the insight into how your shop operates ... yet another example of:  there is always
time to do it over, but never time to do it right.

Its fortunate you are not producing banking software, air-traffic control software,
health-monitoring software, ...  Those are also "realities" in which some programmers operate.