[FRPythoneers] Text UI

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Jul 27 13:58:07 MDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 11:12:27AM -0600, Ken Kinder wrote:
>Does anyone have suggestions for a simple, but attractive Python Text
>UI? Something curses-based? I'm looking something similar to dialog.py
>but that doesn't depend on a Linux-only binary... It should be
>reasonably portable.

I don't really, but I'll just let you know what I HAVE used...

Curses is pretty low-level, and recently a new curses module has been
releases which should handle things like text coloring and all.  I built an
app in curses and it worked fine, but did require some jumping through
hoops and thinking the way the curses folks do.

I also used snack (there are two modules named snack now, this would
obviously be the UI module).  It's a Python wrapper for RedHat's NEWT (the
toolkit that all the redhat install stuff is written using).  Snack is
incredibly poorly documented, and also fairly incomplete.  The full
functionality of the C library that RedHat uses for the installer doesn't
seem to be available, or wasn't when I was trying to use it (around 2 years
ago).

 The structure of a system reflects the structure of the organization that
 built it.  -- Richard E. Fairley