[FRPythoneers] Doctest

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jul 26 23:52:08 MDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 09:48:40PM -0600, Rob Riggs wrote:
>With PyUnit, one essentially "scripts" a set of test cases. Those test
>cases are member functions of a class. The OO is pretty much incidental.

They're not really incidental if you have a bunch of tests that you would
prefer didn't have an incomplete run if one of them fails...  That's the
only issue I have with unittest.py right now.

>was developed by none other than Erich Gamma and Kent Beck -- a couple
>of folks that have had a little bit to say about software development in

Near as I can tell, the argument against having non-fatal test-case
failures is that that's just not the way it's done...  Gamma and Beck can
do whatever they like, but it doesn't feel right to me.  If it's my way or
the highway, so I'll take the highway.

>I have found PyUnit to be flexible enough to meet all of my unit testing
>needs. I use it for testing all of my Python code. And we are even using

And it's going to get used a lot more since it's really getting pushed in
Python.

 It would be interesting to be a squirel.  They have the cute outfits...  The
 right kind can fly...  -- Evelyn Mitchell, 1998