[FRPythoneers] Doctest

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Thu Jul 26 08:16:59 MDT 2001

> Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> > >
> > > Because if you keep test methods short and independent, and do the above to
> > > find and run them, it's simpler, and non-fatal test failures aren't
> > > required.
> >
> > Since at least two experienced Python developers here disagree with you,
> > why not just accept that the judgment you express above is subjective?
>
> My opinion was solicited, I gave it, and further varied opinions
> were exchanged. And nothing therein implied that I'm incapable of
> determining the border between subjectivity and objectivity.
>
> But if I'm just supposed to agree with everyone, I might as well take this
> opportunity to bow out of the discussion and to extend my best wishes to
> the group.

It seems you're in great haste to bow out of the discussion.

First of all, where do I say you're "supposed to agree with everyone"?  I am
explicitly stating that we can all disagree on whether or not it's better to
*use* non-fatal test behavior, as long as we're *free* to disagree.  This is
not the case in PyUnit: users are forced to agree with you, which would be OK
if it weren't being exhalted as the True Python Test Harness.

So all I ask for is an option.  I'm not saying you should make it the default
or even the preferred option, but that it at least be possible.

Why is that something that would make you want to drop the discussion?

uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com               +1 303 583 9900 x 101
4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management