[FRPythoneers] Doctest

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Thu Jul 26 07:15:03 MDT 2001

Steve Purcell wrote:

> > Why do you prefer not having non-fatal test failures?
>
> Because if you keep test methods short and independent, and do the above to
> find and run them, it's simpler, and non-fatal test failures aren't required.

Since at least two experienced Python developers here disagree with you,
why not just accept that the judgment you express above is subjective?

Simply give developers the option to construct test cases that tolerate
failure and allow them to make that judgment for themselves.

After all, isn't that the philosophy of Python: give the developers the
power to do what they want: we're all adults and we can take
responsibility for our mistakes.  I'm always wary of incursions from
what I charaterize as the Java philosophy: programming language as
nanny.

uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com               +1 303 583 9900 x 101
4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management