[FRPythoneers] Shell commands in interactive mode

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Jul 25 15:24:33 MDT 2001

Try searching for "python shell" on google.  There are a few things that
might be of interest on the first page, including:

   http://csel.cs.colorado.edu/~wilcoxn/docs/pysh_proposal.html
   http://starship.python.net/crew/zack/ptui/doc/shell.html
   http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/pythonwww/search/hypermail/python-1994q2/0768.html

There was also some fairly cool trick I remember somone posting to
comp.lang.python I believe.  This was probably 2 or 3 years ago...  It
would pass un-resolved global attributes on to the shell, IIRC.  It was
fairly cool, and I believe would do what you are wanting, but I can't find
a reference to it...

There have been folks at various times talking about setting up a Python
shell, but I can't really picture what it would give me...  The shell is an
domain-specific language, and Python is a general-purpose language.  The
last time we had somone take a general-purpose language and apply it to a
command shell we got csh.  ;-/

 I took a Meyers-Briggs personality test and came out an SMTP.
                 -- Sean Reifschneider, 2000