[FRPythoneers] python scripts and setuid

Ken Kinder kkinder at tridog.com
Sun Jul 15 10:27:57 MDT 2001

I'm trying to write an administrative Fast/CGI script that needs to be
executed as root. I don't want to use SuEXEC in Apache or CGIWrap -- I
would much rather use setuid, but when put setuid permissions on the
script, it doesn't seem to work. In general I prefer having shell
scripts wrap my CGI scripts anyway, so if anyone knows a way to have CGI
scripts wrapped with short shell scripts work, I would appreciate some
ideas. Here's the general idea of the shell script:

	#!/bin/sh
	/usr/bin/python /path/to/python/script.py

Or when I'm byte compiling I also use:

	#!/bin/sh
	/usr/bin/python -OO /path/to/python/script.pyo